Thursday, February 7, 2013

back behind the lens

recently my friend frank, the traveling ironman, went to get his camera cleaned. this is something i'd been planning on doing for sometime, but i'd been very lazy, shooting with my G12, not shooting with my G12, shooting with my iphone, and not shooting with my iphone. instagram is helping a little, but the limited resolution is tough for someone who was, at some point many years ago, used to RAW files and DNG processing.

so i jumped on the chance to return to high resolution, and gave frank my 10 year old rebel XT to take with him to the magic men at nippon photo clinic. who are apparently THE guys you bring your camera gear to when it needs sorting. my sensor had never been cleaned, and i'd shot on rooftops, on bridges, on mountains, on islands, on boats, and on bike. it was dirty. and after months of sitting on a tripod baseplate, it also had a nice glaze of sticky cork crustiness on the bottom of the body. frank relayed the receiving technicians remarks regarding my camera, "this is disgusting". it wasn't untrue.

four days later and the camera is back in my hands, 50mm 1.8f lens mounted, and the images are so clean you eat off them! if they were tangible like that. but really, it is so noticeable how well they did their job. and i am elated with the first handful of images that are popping off this sensor. i am definitely going to be shooting much more this year. like i promised myself i would. now, to find the subject matter.

No comments: