Wednesday, September 3, 2008

bicycle-talk: helmets

i know that there are some people in my life i only know through bikes and bike riding. but it was made apparent to me the other day, when i ran into a friend that i hadn't seen in a while, that some of these people may have a hard time recognizing me when i don't have my helmet on (and am off my bike). this confirmed that i do in fact wear my helmet every time i ride my bike (barring extraordinarily unforeseen circumstances). it also brought to attention once more the fact that there are a good number of riders in this local area that don't habitually rock a lid.

now. i recognize the fact that riders will ride as they will; many of my friends and family still do not wear helmets even after several years to more than a decade of riding bikes. i mean i grew up riding bmx on the streets of new york, with very, very sporadic helmet donning. but i will thank, personally, a specific someone i recently went to visit in portland for making my helmet-wearing a second nature. it's gotten to the point where i feel strange when not wearing my helmet, rather than when i am wearing it. and this is only within the past few years.

so i might as well just have out my spiel. if you've read this far you're not so sensitive that you'll get into an argument about helmet wearing, and you should know by now that whatever you wear while you ride is fine with me.

i don't think they are the be-all, end-all in safety equipment; they just provide a decent degree of protection for your brain. you can fall down on your side, break a bone or two, break your helmet, and you might avoid a concussion. whereas that same situation without a helmet may result in a plate in your skull along with the pins in your collarbone. you can still be mortally injured while wearing a helmet. just as you could without.

i do think they will provide, if not you, the people who care about you a degree of relief. they might not rest, but they can at least be assured that you're a little protected from the elemental forces of the road. in the least you can wear a helmet for them; your family and friends. you don't want to have to call them from the hospital getting your head wrapped when you could have just told them you broke your arm. i know that's what i would prefer. (though of course i would prefer over that not having to visit a hospital at all.)

anyways enough with the patternless rant; here's me in my helmet looking silly, but safe.



my favorite helmet companies:
giro for the light, vented race lids.
bern for the light, better-coverage bucket lids.
troy lee designs for the light, fancy, full-coverage full-face lids.

1 comment:

Mike said...

oh shit! i found yours too! I miss seeing you around and whatnot, nate.

I am in Japan, as youve probably deduced, and though bikes are abundant, it's damn near impossible to find an adult sized helmet here. It's like they just dont make them.

After i bought my bike i rode all over town to bike shops and department stores but they all only stock helmets for little kids. At one place they told me they could order one (just a basic helmet) for $140. My friend had the same experience in a different town.

I ended up buying a cheap scooter helmet so i look reeeeally goofy. first time i visit the states again i will bring back a lid.