Saturday, October 11, 2008

winter is coming, things are good

the low temperature in oakland hit the 40s yesterday. today it's windy and it didn't go over 70. the chill is here so my next question is when the rain arrives. but i shouldn't fret. it is only early october after all.

in the meantime i've begun teaching martial arts at the elementary after-school program i worked at last year, and thus far it's been a very positive, challenging, and rewarding experience. i'm encouraged by the children's progress, and my sustained enthusiasm is merely reflective of theirs. the program runs semiweekly and will run through the rest of the school year. i am confident that at the end of the year these children will have learned a solid foundation of martial arts skills.

i'm decidedly conclusive that this transfer to the west coast has provided me with ample life opportunities. not even mentioning the clear benefit that i've been riding my bike almost every day for the last year; i've worked a whole year in construction management that has given me loads of experience, and am beginning my second term at this elementary school where i can make a living sharing my love for martial arts with the future of the world. can it get better?

yes it can! i'm also incredibly grateful for all the wonderful people i've met out here and the network they make up for me. there are dinner parties, and bike rides, and bar gatherings, and art shows, and all these great fun things that i can just jump on my bike to shoot over to enjoy with good company. i really can't beat that.

or can i? i haven't even mentioned the new girl who, in so few weeks, has made a distinctly strong and positive impression on my life. oops, well now i've mentioned her. ;)

to good things; make them happen for yourselves.

No comments: